Tornadoes and Lightning
Tornado winds can be 75 mph or greater. The National Weather Service will announce the approximate time and direction of the movement. If any of these conditions occur or is imminent in the area and may threaten the building, the Management Office will issue information and direction.
In the event of a weather-related emergency such as flooding, tornado, or windstorm, the tenant should be prepared to take one or all of the following general actions, as appropriate, for the particular weather-related emergency:
- Remain calm.
- After hearing warning sound on radio, listen for details. Gather your personal belongings should an evacuation order be given.
- The Management Office will also call all Floor Wardens and alert them of the severe approaching weather. The Floor Wardens will be asked to alert other tenants on their floor and follow these guidelines:
- Close all windows, blinds, and curtains.
- Move loose items away from windows to reduce flying debris if window should break.
- Move away from the exterior of the building to a corridor, elevator lobby, or stairwells. DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS.
- Doors between outer offices and inner spaces should be closed.
- Disconnect all computer, telecommunications equipment, office equipment, and appliances to protect them from possible power surges.
- Move valuable equipment or documents from outer offices to interior room and to floors above the possible affected floors (in the instance of a flood).
- Do not evacuate unless instructed by the Management Office or city.